Friday, April 20, 2018

Chapter 6: Agency and Work

Chapter 6: Agency and Work
            You’ve probably heard it said: “The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary, and we all know work paves the way to success. We also know sometimes it’s hard to get at a task for any number of reasons, but work is an antidote for most every problem. One of my mother’s favorite books is The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoe, written by DuBose Heyward, published in 1939 by Houghton Mifflin Company. The story reveals the fact that there are really five Easter bunnies, not just one, and they have to be “the five kindest, and swiftest, and wisest bunnies in the whole wide world, because between sunset on Easter Eve and dawn on Easter morning they do more work than most rabbits do in a whole year.” Mother bunnies tell their children to wish and hope and train for this greatest of all rabbit opportunities—to work for the Grandfather Bunny at the Palace of Easter Eggs. A little girl country bunny told everyone who’d listen: “Someday I shall grow up to be an Easter Bunny. You wait and see!” But then she grew up, got married, and had, “much to her surprise,” twenty-one babies! Everyone who had heard her goal to be an Easter Bunny now laughed and made rude comments. As it came to pass, when her babies stopped being babies, she taught them how to work. She taught two to sweep, two to make beds, two prepare meals, two to wash dishes, two to wash clothes, and two to sew and mend. That’s twelve. Then two with good voices were taught to sing, two to dance, two to plant and tend a garden, and two to paint pictures for the walls. That’s twenty. Then to the smallest, a little boy bunny, she gave the job of seating her by pulling out her chair whenever she came to the table for a meal, because he was the most polite of all her children. Then news came. One of the Easter bunnies was retiring and auditions would be held. Grandfather Bunny presided over this most exciting event and even though the little country mother who had such aspirations was in attendance, she knew she had no chance. After all the candidates performed their hopping and jumping abilities, Grandfather Bunny looked around the assembled mass of bunnies and saw little mother country bunny and her twenty-one children, flanking her on either side. Grandfather Bunny called them to the palace steps where he asked about her family, and as you suspect, she was chosen to be the fifth Easter Bunny. (You’ll have to read the rest of the story to see how the little gold shoes fit into the story.)
            This story spoke truth to me as an example of how families should be organized. Each child had assigned duties, (I was sure the mother country bunny had a rotation system whereby everyone got a chance to learn every job), and every child did his or her job in a timely, efficient, and cheerful manner. Family life was simple and orderly. Since I am the oldest of eight and the mother of eight, I’ve read this story probably a hundred times and to some extent modeled my life after this tale of the country bunny. I took great delight in teaching my children to work and had fun doing so. I also felt having a large family would not prevent me from doing some pretty exciting things in life despite being a mother of many. Even today I find fulfillment and enjoyment in organizing my grandchildren in work projects.
            When our children were teens, I printed out a quote from Jeffery Archer, framed it, and hung it in the kitchen. “Never be frightened by those you assume have more talent than you do, because in the end energy will prevail.  My formula is: energy plus talent and you are a king; energy and no talent and you are still a prince; talent and no energy and you are a pauper.” I once heard Mr. Archer speak in an interview. He said the secret to his success is “work, work, work.” He has been described as having “a quantum of energy.” Energy is equivalent to work, and those who work hard make up for lack of talent and/or intelligence. One time Mr. Archer was offered twenty million pounds, he’s British, to be paid over five years by a publisher to put his name on books he didn’t write. He turned down the offer. He said his readers would know he hadn’t written the books because he puts so much work into them that counterfeits would be detected. He explained his work ethic: “When I’m writing, I’m ruthlessly disciplined in managing my time. I wake up at 5 am and start writing at 9 am. I write in two hour intervals, followed by short breaks. I make sure I’m in bed by 9 p.m.” He has written fifteen books over the past thirty-five years, many of them best-sellers. Amazing achievers often work while others sleep, enjoy leisure, or spend time with other people. Amazing achievers are often more solitary, and not everyone has the natural ability to focus and concentrate to this degree. Nevertheless, in critical matters, all of us need to hunker down and work at the job at hand whether it’s earning a living or cleaning up the kitchen. Those who don’t do their share of the work burden their families and in extreme cases, society.
         I once heard Dr. Laura tell how she changed from being a feminist to having respect for men. She was on vacation in New Mexico with her husband and child, touring a coal mine. As she was experiencing the negatives of the mine, the dampness, dirtiness, darkness, and feeling claustrophobic, she thought to herself “Why would anyone do this?” Her awakening came. Men went down in mines, like the one she was in, day after day, year after year to provide for their families. In an instant she realized men work to fulfill a responsibility, sacrificing their own comfort, their own health, safety, and whatever else they would rather be doing for the significant yet simple purpose of providing shelter, food, and comforts for their families. There’s a feeling among young people today that work should be enjoyable and fulfilling, and it certainly is a bonus when you like your job; however, work is work. Most people work at whatever they have to work at to earn a living to provide for themselves and their families. When I was first married, my husband worked, as he put it, as “a wheel-barrow motor” for a construction company, and we managed an apartment house, which included taking care of all the garbage, vacuuming the halls, cleaning the swimming pool, and showing and cleaning apartments. Why did we do it? Because we got free rent. My sister and her husband lived in a mortuary for the same reason—free rent while they were finishing school. Some of our friends had family who paid for their education; others whose family bought them their first home. We didn’t. We worked.
           I recently watched a Youtube video titled “A Father Indeed.” It is the story of a garbage man who found joy in his work because it provided for his family and allowed him to give service to his community. “It’s a dirty job but someone has to do it” fits this man perfectly, but it’s not a joke. He feels his work has purpose. His story includes a wife who has multiple sclerosis and a son with Down’s syndrome. The story tells how he watches for valuable items in the garbage and uses them for his family and others. A specific example shows how he made a tricycle for his daughter from parts he found in the garbage. He is shown emptying vacuums at a car wash and sifting the dirt. As he takes crinkled bits of receipts and gum wrappers away, you see coins in the bottom of the sieve. He says something like, “Everyday people throw away money and I clean it up and take it home.” The narrator then says for thirty-four years, this husband and father has taken his family on vacation to southern California with the coins he finds in the garbage. He is a father in deed. Work is about purpose. Work is about attitude. Work is about finishing a task and finding fulfillment in the process.
          In the weeks after my third chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer, the days crept by. I felt sicker and sicker. I couldn’t get warm. (It was July.) What to do with long hours when attention to anything outside myself seemed impossible? The usual diversions of reading or listening to music no longer kept my interest. I couldn’t work. I could barely walk from bed to bathroom. My fourth treatment had to be postponed because my blood counts were too low. During this trying time, I remember thinking I could not physically or emotionally endure the last chemo treatment. I wanted to quit at three. I asked my doctor what the statistics were for those with my diagnosis who didn’t have all four treatments. She said she didn’t know but thought it would be a very foolish thing to do. I was in survival mode and not enduring well. I felt bleak and hopeless. On one especially bad day, a day when the negative voice on my shoulder kept trying to seduce me with the idea I was going to die anyway and giving up now would save my family and me a lot of suffering, I remembered a video I had fallen asleep watching a year or so before. Somehow I found the desire and energy to go to the family room, find the video, and watch Cool Runnings.                                                 
              It’s the story of a Jamaican track star who is the fastest runner on the island of Jamaica. He trains for the Olympic trials. During the qualifying race, he is accidentally tripped by another runner, falls down, and fails to qualify. His attempts to have the race rerun fail. He is told the only way he can get to the Olympics is with another sport. He learns of a former Olympic bobsled racer who lives on the island and finally convinces this man to coach a bobsled team. Three other young athletes join him, and their training begins. They train exceedingly hard and arrive in Calgary for the Olympics. No one gives this ragtag team any notice especially when in the first race they finish last. But the next day they do much better. In fact the announcer says they are the fastest team yet, and if they can finish the last quarter of the race as fast as the first three-quarters, they will break a world record. Just then the bobsled loses a runner and with terrible jolts the bobsled is thrown upside down slamming with tremendous force into the sides of the run. When the bobsled finally screeches to a stop, the men appear dead. Then after a few moments the four Jamaicans begin to move. They climb out of the bobsled and look over their situation as the silent crowd gazes in horror. Then the track star who started the whole thing says to his teammates, "I must finish the race." With tremendous effort the four athletes hoist the broken bobsled up on their shoulders and carry it across the finish line to thunderous applause. I knew what I had to do. I wrote a big note to myself: "I am an Olympian. I will finish my race by having the last chemo treatment." Giving up because something is very, very hard is an excuse. Work is doing what needs to be done when it needs to be done. My work was to see my treatment through.

            None of us, not even Jeffrey Archer, can work, work, work without breaks and diversions. We all get stressed and fatigued. There are times I feel worried, tense, and hassled and want to escape my responsibilities, but I have discovered an antidote that works better than breaks and diversions. When bad things are going on in my life, I can often find relief and comfort in work. I take out my anxieties with vacuum and mop. I clean windows and scrub floors. I weed flower beds and trim bushes. I clean out closets and the refrigerator. The work releases tension and fear, even feelings of hopelessness and despair. Work, for me, often neutralizes negative emotions, and if nothing else, I enjoy the clean cupboards and windows and feel I’ve accomplished something worthwhile. Thomas Jefferson said, “I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.” Thomas Edison said, “There is no substitute for hard work.” And one of the Ten Commandments commands work: “Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work” (Exodus 20:9). “The Little Red Hen” was also a favorite book my mother read to me and quoted from often: “Then I will, said the Little Red Hen. And she did.” Whenever there was a task to be done I was taught to step forward and do it. My father always said, “Hard work never killed anybody.”
            I once heard a prominent man tell of a crucial experience from his life. In his early twenties he volunteered for an assignment in England. The work was hard and long and England was cold and damp. Then he got sick. He became discouraged and wanted to return to his family in America. He wrote to his father of the trials he was experiencing and of the frustration he was feeling. He confessed his desire to quit and return home. Shortly thereafter he received a short letter from his father that said something like, “I received your letter and have one suggestion. Forget yourself and go to work.”
            From a very early age, children should be taught to work, beginning with taking care of their own possessions. Capacity to work in childhood is important factor in mental health as the children grow into the teen years. An adult’s attitude toward work is the accumulation of his childhood and teens experiences with work. Purpose and service are important components of work. God commandment men and women to work, and we do work because of the intrinsic value of keeping busy, doing something that is worthwhile and contributing, and we do feel better about ourselves when we are involved in good work.
To avoid longcuts:
1.    Take wisdom and counsel from those who have walked the road of life before you
2.    Never believe you will be the exception to the laws of nature
3.    Know you will harvest what you sow
4.    Learn the lessons of history so you won’t repeat the same mistakes
5.    Find the power in resisting impulse, persisting, and delaying gratification
6.    Develop personal integrity and make moral decisions;
7.    Know that others see things you don’t and welcome their perspectives

8.    Work, work, work.

No comments:

Post a Comment